Post a story!
Rockfic — Band fiction that rocks [ 6,827 stories by 915 authors ]

Published real person fiction that you've read or watched

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Augustine
Site Admin

Stories: 10
Reviews: 1189
Have you ever read any published real person fiction? (This includes books populated mostly by original characters, with fictionalized real people appearing as supporting characters.) Likewise, have you watched any movies or TV shows that feature fictionalized portrayals of real people? Share them here.

Confession: I'm low-key trying to compile a list of examples of published RPF that I can rattle off to people who try to claim that writing real person fiction is "weird." Rolling Eyes They don't realize that it's already everywhere!
Permalink     Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:57 pm     Reply with quote
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted
She got the Mercedes bends
She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys
That she calls friends
How they dance in the courtyard
Sweet summer sweat
Some dance to remember
Some dance to forget...

marjain
Playing in a Garage Band

Reviews: 98
Hm, does historical novels count? As i have red some that adds real life people in them to add up the level of accuracy in them.
same goes to movies and tv series, historical figures.

Or does it have to be modern date, then i cant recall any atm.
Permalink     Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:05 pm     Reply with quote
"But I justify my desire to no one, i won't deny that I need it bad to go on, My jaded heart is yours to poison with your flame"

"Just one look into those heavenly pair of "take me"-eyes, Mine's the pleasure as I force-feed her all my lies"

"My soul is spoken for to the one i'm breathing for, this pain for you is never enough, craving forevermore for the one i'm dying for, do you know how much I want you"

Augustine
Site Admin

marjain wrote:
Hm, does historical novels count? As i have red some that adds real life people in them to add up the level of accuracy in them.
same goes to movies and tv series, historical figures.

Or does it have to be modern date, then i cant recall any atm.

Absolutely!

In fact, I'm willing to bet that the majority of published and onscreen RPF is historical (for exactly the reasons you mention).
Permalink     Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:11 pm     Reply with quote
That she calls friends
Sweet summer sweat
Some dance to remember
Some dance to forget...

marjain
Playing in a Garage Band

Reviews: 98
Yeah, i happen to love those, this one particular lady Kaari Utrio writes about finnish history in romancing ways in such manner that it really comes alive.
Thus far if i am correct some of the most intriquing booms havent been translated in english, thou i could be wrong.

One of those tells about one womans journey thru 1000's europe in quest for love and long it may be but it offers very intresting take on byzantium and they usage of varyag guards. As also how vikings can be found lots of places.

Also often citing finnish historical figures and their timeline in the history of finland.

I am certain that rpf has started from such literature, and evolved to what it is now.
Permalink     Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:19 pm     Reply with quote
"But I justify my desire to no one, i won't deny that I need it bad to go on, My jaded heart is yours to poison with your flame"

"Just one look into those heavenly pair of "take me"-eyes, Mine's the pleasure as I force-feed her all my lies"

"My soul is spoken for to the one i'm breathing for, this pain for you is never enough, craving forevermore for the one i'm dying for, do you know how much I want you"

Highway Joe
Entered Rehab

Stories: 47
Reviews: 359
Official Biffno Winner
Deadwood, motherfuckers! For a start. HBO show from the early 2000s.

It portrays Wild Bill Hickock and Calamity Jane.
Permalink     Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:22 pm     Reply with quote
When in doubt, just swerve right onto the Constant Learning Curve.

5:00 am, I am fading. Ghost on the pavement. I celebrate futility within -Katatonia, \"Passer\"

Writing is a solitary business. It takes over your life. In some sense, a writer has no life of his own. Even when he is there, he is not really there. Another ghost. -Paul Auster, Ghosts

Augustine
Site Admin

Highway Joe wrote:
Deadwood, motherfuckers! For a start. HBO show from the early 2000s.

It portrays Wild Bill Hickock and Calamity Jane.

Yes!!! If I recall correctly, most of the characters on this show were fictionalized depictions of actual people.

Adding to the list:

The Tudors

The Borgias

Timeless (TV series about a team of time travelers; each episode centers on famous historical figures that they encounter during their various missions.)

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

The Alienist by Caleb Carr (in which Teddy Roosevelt is a major supporting character)

Chemical Wedding (aka Crowley)--horror movie about the reincarnation of Aleister Crowley. Bruce Dickinson wrote the screenplay.

Speaking of Aleister Crowley, there's apparently a new graphic novel where he uses magick to fight Hitler.

Also, browsing the shelves at Barnes & Noble recently, I've seen novels portraying fictionalized versions of Marilyn Monroe, Zelda Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, and several others who presently escape my mind.

I'm sure I'll think of more...
Permalink     Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:31 pm     Reply with quote
That she calls friends
Sweet summer sweat
Some dance to remember
Some dance to forget...

figurehead
Singing in the Shower

Stories: 3
Reviews: 11
I think I brought up The Hours and Times in another thread a month or so back, but it honestly bears mentioning again. It's a fictionalised account of a real holiday John Lennon and Brian Epstein took to Barcelona in 1962, and I think the main selling point is the one or two slashy moments in the film--and of course that Lennon is played by Ian Hart (aka Professor Quirrel in the first Harry Potter film) who's no stranger to portraying him in films and TV. It's a pretty interesting watch tbh
Permalink     Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:26 pm     Reply with quote
who the fuck is scraeming \'LOG OFF\' at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never log off

speakingez
Booking Wedding Gigs

Stories: 13
Reviews: 206
Has no one mentioned "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" yet? Not only is it RPF,it's practically an AU.

Picasso ... or, yeah, as you guys said, any hishorical fiction book/ movie.

What about when famous people play themselves on TV or in a movie? Would that be RPF?

Or all the real people featured on South Park who obviously aren't voicing the roles?

And I don't know if this counts but there was a cartoon called "Clone High" in the long-long-ago that featured clones of historical figues going through high school. Lincoln and Cleopatera were two characters I remember.
Permalink     Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:22 am     Reply with quote
Good things come to those who wait. work for them. Fuck waiting.

"We won't be broken
There's no curse we haven't spoken
There is no oath, there is no spell
To deliver us, so help
Cut me loose, I wish you well
No oath, no spell
No prayer and no hell but the one you make
Let's cast off, turn tail."
- Murder by Death

totalaudacity21
Booking Wedding Gigs

Stories: 17
Reviews: 157
^ Clone High! Love that show.

There was a short film I saw on Netflix called "Kung Fury," which was about a cop/martial artist given the task of going back in time to kill Adolf Hitler (who himself was also a master of kung fu). Definitely for people who enjoy the whole 80's cop show aesthetic.
Permalink     Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:43 pm     Reply with quote
Responsibility's cool, but there's more things in life.

Augustine
Site Admin

speakingez wrote:
Has no one mentioned "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" yet? Not only is it RPF,it's practically an AU.

You read my mind! A friend mentioned that movie on Facebook earlier today and I couldn't believe I didn't think of that one when I originally posted. I actually pulled this thread up just now, and lo and behold. Laughing
Permalink     Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:19 pm     Reply with quote
That she calls friends
Sweet summer sweat
Some dance to remember
Some dance to forget...

Augustine
Site Admin

There's a new show on Netflix called Mindhunters that would definitely qualify as RPF. It's a crime drama that includes fictionalized versions of real-life serial killers like Edmund Kemper.

And while we're on the subject of serial killer RPF, there was also a show called Aquarius. Charles Manson and his followers were among the main characters. It wasn't just a dramatized retelling; it was an original story featuring a mix of fictional and real life figures.
Permalink     Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:25 pm     Reply with quote
That she calls friends
Sweet summer sweat
Some dance to remember
Some dance to forget...

speakingez
Booking Wedding Gigs

Stories: 13
Reviews: 206
Augustine wrote:

And while we're on the subject of serial killer RPF, there was also a show called Aquarius. Charles Manson and his followers were among the main characters. It wasn't just a dramatized retelling; it was an original story featuring a mix of fictional and real life figures.

I might really enjoy that, thanks for the rec!
Permalink     Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:04 pm     Reply with quote
Good things come to those who wait. work for them. Fuck waiting.

"We won't be broken
There's no curse we haven't spoken
There is no oath, there is no spell
To deliver us, so help
Cut me loose, I wish you well
No oath, no spell
No prayer and no hell but the one you make
Let's cast off, turn tail."
- Murder by Death

Sgt Leppard
Playing in a Garage Band

Stories: 9
Reviews: 13
Augustine wrote:
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K

Also The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel. So. Many. People. And Flamel himself is apparently a fan of Pink Floyd and Genesis. I like this man just that much more
Permalink     Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:28 pm     Reply with quote
I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all!? - 11th Doctor

Augustine
Site Admin

speakingez wrote:
Augustine wrote:

I might really enjoy that, thanks for the rec!

You're welcome! Pretty sure it's streaming on either Netflix or Amazon. Just be aware that, because it was originally on one of the regular networks (NBC, I think), it's rather on the tame side. The acting is uneven and the sex scenes are laughable in their cheesiness. At least in the three episodes I watched before I gave up. Several people have told me I should have kept going because it eventually got really good. The nice thing about watching on a streaming service is that you can fast forward through the dull parts!
Permalink     Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:15 pm     Reply with quote
That she calls friends
Sweet summer sweat
Some dance to remember
Some dance to forget...

BaronZemo
Booking Wedding Gigs

Stories: 43
Reviews: 114
AQUARIUS! I have such a love-hate relationship with that show. I think the actor, Gethin Anthony, they got for Manson was really good, and mostly I wish the show had really been about the Manson Family and their interactions. The cop characters were BLAH and no one needs yet another television depiction of a straight white male paternalistic authority figure (David Duchovny's character) solving the crime-of-the-week.

The haircuts were unintentionally hilarious. Some of the male cop characters had haircuts that were WAY too modern, and the Manson Girls were too clean and well-conditioned. If you've ever seen footage of the actual Manson Family, you know those were some dirty hippie bitches. Overall, the show made them too pretty and sanitized, almost like the showrunners were afraid to put women on-screen who didn't look like they'd stepped out of a shampoo commercial.

AQUARIUS is like watching someone's fanfic that's 75% uninteresting OCs and only 25% what we came here for.

There's an indie movie called The Book of Manson directed by Raymond Pettibon (yes, he's Gregg Ginn of Black Flag's brother!) and starring a bunch of Pettibon's L.A. punk rock friends, that's a far superior take on the Manson mythos.
Permalink     Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:11 am     Reply with quote

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  
© Rockfic.com, since 2004. Rockfic.com is in no way associated with any band listed on this website. Rockfic.com is entertainment. All stories contained on this site are fictional, which means that while the characters may be loosely based on the public personas of real people, the stories themselves are completely ungrounded from reality and are in no way meant to reflect the private lives, actual practices, or activities of any persons named. Rockfic.com will remove a work of fiction if an individual named within requests its removal. If you have any questions or problems, contact admin@rockfic.com.
Band fiction that rocks, since 2004